Nonprofit Guiding Eyes for the Blind will host a month-long virtual marathon to raise funds and encourage “people and dogs alike to stay active and do good”.
The marathon will start on May 1, and the goal for participants is to hit 26.2 miles by May 31- while raising funds.
The Wag-a-thon is cumulative, and participants can walk anywhere, at their own pace throughout the month.
“Guiding Eyes is committed to enriching the lives of people who are blind or visually impaired, including helping them achieve their health and wellness goals,” Thomas Panek, president and CEO of Guiding Eyes for the Blind, said. “Whether you run a marathon in a day or spread it out over the month of May, the Wag-a-thon is a great way for us to create an ‘all-in-this-together’ community of people and dogs alike, who are joining our mission.”
To participate, follow these steps:
- Sign-up. Go to www.GuidingEyes.org/wagathon to create your fundraising page, sign up as a participant or start a team with your friends, family, or coworkers.
- Make a plan. Map out your plan to rack up 26.2 miles* over the month of May.
- Rally support. Ask friends, family, and co-workers to support you with a donation – or to join the Wag-a-thon themselves!
- Get social. Post your mileage updates (don’t forget the selfies!) to social media using #wagathon and your personal Wag-a-thon page.
- Pat yourself and your pup on the back! Cross the Wag-a-thon virtual finish line by May 31.
(*Psst. The mileage? It’s on the honor system. Don’t cheat. Your four-legged friends are watching!)